Monday, February 16, 2009

Affirmative Action is Asinine

Affirmative action is, in fact, asinine. Am I being racist? Of course not! I am some percentage of Native American, and I think it's enough to get me into college, but I still don't appreciate affirmative action. Think about it logically. Affirmative action is saying that Person Minority deserves to get into college simply because he or she IS a minority. I love minorities. Some of my best friends are Asian and Latina and African American. Like I said, I'm somewhat Native American...1/16 I believe. Being Asian is not, of course, a helpful thing if one wants to go Ivy or NESCAC or Public Ivy, etc. MIT doesn't even allow international students to apply early BECAUSE of all of the minorities that want to apply. However, a little insider birdie told me that by "minority" they mean "Asian." Thus, my dear Asian friends, my anti-Affirmative Action stance is not against you. I think colleges should be race-blind. Who cares if I am white or not? I am an intelligent human being! If 1/16 is not enough for me to be legally Native American, then why should Minority A get into College A, if I get deferred? It's reverse racism! I am the majority in every possible aspect. I am a white Anglo-Saxon. I am Protestant. I am a girl. I am basically the epitome of a "WASP" (again, assuming I am not Native American enough to be a "WNAP"-white Native American Protestant). But this isn't just about me. It's also about my intelligent Asian friend who may not get into the university of her choice because of the ridiculous stereotype that all Asians are geniuses, and any Asians who are even one IQ point below the genius quota must be rejected or waitlisted due to inferior brain capacity. Unfortunately, that stereotype exists. This is also for my international friend who wishes he knew if he was into MIT or not. He was not deferred. He was stopped from applying early by his citizenship. Dear MIT applicants: If you are not a US citizen, have fun waiting until April to discover your fate.
Obviously, affirmative action is not restricted to university either. Some businesses have "minority quotas." They've been known to say "Sorry Mr. Majority, we have to take Mrs. Minority because she is, well, a minority, and we need a few more!" Thankfully, this quota business is declining, but the university stuff is still there. Even scholarships are awarded based on race. They have Native American scholarships, Afro-American scholarships...where are the Caucasian scholarships? I understand that minorities tend to be less wealthy than "WASPs," but there are financially struggling Caucasians as well. Surely scholarships, jobs, and acceptance letters should be colorblind, and scholarships should focus only on merit and the bank account. I understand that for years on end we tortured our slaves, put our Japanese in concentration camps, and degraded our Latinos. However, is putting ourselves down really the answer? This is just creating a never-ending cycle, because one day the minorities will say "We're sorry! Now YOU have priority" and on it goes. I don't recall enslaving anyone, and while I condemn my ancestors for any racism, and I don't understand why I am being punished. This isn't Thomas Jefferson's debt being left to his children. This is simply reverse racism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Democratic Party Political Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory